Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Skipping Rocks in the Holy Land

Hey guys,
I feel like its been a while so I might as well update you. Some of you may have heard that I'm going to spend my spring break in Lebanon and Turkey but several days ago there was a loud... sound during the day. At first we were told it was the aftershocks of an earth in Turkey but the next day we started hearing rumors that it was an Israeli airstrike somewhere around the West Bank. Now, Arabs love rumors and conspiricy theories so I'll probably never know for sure what it was but the more research I've done the more likely it seems that Lebanon and Israel will be at war again soon. Instead of that spring break I'll be going to Sri Lanka instead to explore the jungle and meet buhddists.

For one of my classes I got an internship working at the Department of Palestinian Affairs and as part of that I accompanied my boss to a Palestinian refugee camp just outside of Amman. There we met a delegation of Norwegian members of parliament and their aides. We toured the camp briefly and alot of empty words were exchanged about improving the situation.

Monday we had another excursion to the holy sites in Jordan and topped it off with a visit to the Dead Sea.

A mosaic map of the holy land in some church...

The view from Mount Nebo where God killed Moses
Surprise there are churches in the holy land
Jesus was here. Being baptized.
That's... the legendary Jordan river?
Across the river is the occupied West Bank. On the left are two Israeli soldiers with loaded assault rifles. Behind me was a Jordanian soldier similarly armed and a techincal with a mounted M-60 machinegun. It wasn't exactly relaxing being between them.
We finished out the day at the Dead Sea swimming and skipping rocks. Here's a pro tip you won't find in any travel guide. Don't fart in the Dead Sea. It seriously burns.

3 comments:

  1. Gary wants to know if the country still smells like jasmyne? He also wanted me to tell you,if you get the chance go to Petra. He said its a scenic ride. Its his favorite place. keep the pics coming,we enjoy your blog.

    Aunt Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outside the city sometimes it smells like jasmyne but inside Amman its mostly car exhaust and cigarette smoke.

    @Jamie
    I'm still tired from traveling but maybe I'll have my next update about Sri Lanka and Dubai ready tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete